Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Simply Overwhelming

I was washing the dishes and singing to myself when I heard the garage open. I wasn't expecting anyone, but was glad to see my husband step through the door. My joy soon turned to worry when I saw tears in his eyes. He simply said "Stay inside."
I continued about my morning chores until curiosity got the best of me. I tiptoed to Will & Grant's room and peered through the wood blinds. It was then I realized what was happening. There was Jeff unloading his Chevy truck as another employee watched over him. I ran outside and asked "Jeff, What is going on?" Again he asked me to go inside and said he'd be in shortly.
I sat in the kitchen silently crying as he walked through the door. Here was my strong and mighty husband with shoulders shaking and tears falling. He had lost his job.
If you know Jeff, you know how much he loves his work. He treated the company as if he owned it. When Jeff would dream, it would be about work. I believe that is exactly why it hurt so bad.
It's been a week since that day. Although losing a job is overwhelming, it is bleak in comparison to the outpouring of love we have received. Family has provided food, money, and even a car. We have received sweet phone calls and emails expressing concern. Although I'm shamed to admit it, I truly didn't have a clue how wonderful my family and friends really were. Losing our job has been a gift. God's love has been richly manifested and we are grateful. I have learned life changing characteristics that I want to carry with me always. Thank you for all of your examples to me. I stand in awe of all of you and your Christ like love you show. It is simply overwhelming.

5 comments:

Brandi said...

Oh Jeni, I am sorry. This must be so hard, but you're obviously a very strong woman and will pull through this with dignity. Indeed the Lord is watching over your family. Just remember that when one door closes, another door opens. I'll keep your family in my prayers.

The Porter Post said...

Jeni, I'm so sorry to read this news. It's so hard to see your husband broken...We've experienced hardships with work this past year. But I have such a strong testimony of tithing. We have never gone without. I know know the Lord gives us these trials for us to learn and grow, and through this process, as we are faithful, He will bless us. Hang in there, and know that you guys are in our prayers. Love ya lots!!

P.S. WE are planning a trip to Utah this summer...Would LOVE to meet up and hang with the fam! I'll keep you posted on details!

kimbob said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's job loss. I can't imagine and don't know what we would do. You guys are strong and have a wonderful support system. If I can ever do anything please let me know!!

Tonya said...

Makes me cry..

coniru said...

so sorry, jeni and jeff. i don't get on the blogs very often - i wasn't expecting to read this news. hope all is well - or better anyway. darn it. know i love you! a prayer is going heavenward at this moment. take care. aunt coni